Polypropylene is one of the best rugs out there. It is durable, last for a long time, easy to clean and maintain. But it has its weakness; it can crease over time, due to heavy foot traffic and improper management.
You vcan get creases out of polypropylene rugs using tools like a steamer, an iron or making use of baking soda. The use of a dry cleaning solution or a dry cleaning cloth also works wonders.
Read on as we throw more light on how to get creases out of polypropylene rug.
Related: How to Place a Rug Under a Bed
How to Get Creases Out of Polypropylene Rug
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Get Creases Out of Polypropylene Rug
- 1.1 1. Make Use of a Steamer
- 1.2 2. Make Use of an Iron
- 1.3 3. Make Use of a Dry Cleaning Solution
- 1.4 4. Make Use of a Dry Cleaning Cloth
- 1.5 5. You Can Take it to the Cleaners
- 1.6 6. Make Use of Baking Soda
- 1.7 7. Make Use of Borax
- 1.8 8. Make Use of Alcohol
- 1.9 9. Make Use of a Magic Eraser
- 1.10 10. Make Use of WD-40
- 2 Tips to Consider While Getting Crease Off Polypropylene Rug
- 3 Conclusion
Here is a detailed approach to the different methods you can get the crease out of polypropylene rug.
1. Make Use of a Steamer
You can get creases out of the polypropylene rug using a steamer. Especially if you have doubts about using a steam cleaner or iron.
Place a steam cleaner a few inches above the rug. Move the rug in a back and forth motion across the rug. This might take you a few minutes on each spot.
2. Make Use of an Iron
You can also make use of iron to get rid of creases on the rug. In a case where there is no steamer to use, then, iron would come in handy.
You need to turn the iron to its lowest setting and ensure it suits your rug fiber capacity. Be very prudent while using it on the rug to avoid burning your hands, steams do blow off from the rug while ironing.
Ensure that the iron doesn’t stay in a static position. Move it from time to time across the rug to avoid burning the rug.
3. Make Use of a Dry Cleaning Solution
You can make use of a dry cleaning solution in a situation where both iron and steamer are not available. Some cleaning solutions can eliminate the crease on the rug.
Apply the dry cleaning solution with a cotton swab. Leave it to settle for about 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a not-too-wet rag.
4. Make Use of a Dry Cleaning Cloth
If you do not have access to the tools I mentioned above, then you can also repress the crease on the polypropylene rug using a dry cleaning cloth.
You should ensure that the dry cleaning cloth is safe for the polypropylene rug. All you need to do is simply rub it across the creased area until you get rid of them.
5. You Can Take it to the Cleaners
You can equally take your polypropylene rug to cleaners if you are out of options. They can steam or dry-clean it to get rid of the wrinkles. With the help of professional-grade materials, they can remove even the toughest of stains.
6. Make Use of Baking Soda
You can also use baking soda to get rid of wrinkles on the polypropylene rug. All you need to do is mix baking soda with water to create a paste.
Then, spread it on the creased area of the rug. Allow it to settle for about 10 minutes, then scrub it off with a damp sponge.
Do not give the baking soda solution time to dry on the rug.
7. Make Use of Borax
You can also use borax to remove wrinkles from the rug. To begin with, combine borax with water to form a solvent. Then, apply it to the creased area of your rug.
Give it time to settle for 10 minutes, then get rid of it using a damp sponge or cloth. Do not forget to rinse the area with water to remove any remnant borax.
8. Make Use of Alcohol
Another material you can use is alcohol. Combine a tablespoon of isopropyl alcohol and two cups of water in a spray bottle.
Apply it to the creased area of the polypropylene rug. Leave it to settle for 5 minutes, then scrub it off using a sponge or damp cloth. You have to keep repeating the process until all the creases are gone.
9. Make Use of a Magic Eraser
A magic eraser is also effective when it comes to getting rid of wrinkles on your polypropylene rug. But you would need to repeat this process many times to achieve a desirable result.
Wet the magic eraser a bit and run it in a circle on the affected area. Wet the sponge again if it is about to dry and continue working on the affected area.
10. Make Use of WD-40
Apply the WD-40 to the rug directly. It should be applied sparingly on the rug. Give it time to settle for 5 minutes then scrub it off. Do not allow the WD-40 to dry up on the rug, it would cause damage to the floor and crease it permanently.
Tips to Consider While Getting Crease Off Polypropylene Rug
Here are a few things to consider while getting the crease out of the polypropylene rug.
1. Do not make use of fabric softeners while you are washing your polypropylene rug. Fabric softener tends to decrease the rate of assimilation. This can cause mildew and mold on the rug.
2. Ensure the iron is placed at a level that suits the fiber content of the floor to avoid burns. If you are scared that your rug might scorch or get burnt, you should consider placing a towel over it.
3. You have to constantly vacuum your polypropylene rug. This would help keep the rug in good condition and reduce the chances of creasing. Also take your rug outside to beat it off dirt and dust, once a month.
4. Make use of mild soaps on the polypropylene rug. Avoid soaps with harsh makeup. Do not make use of any washing detergent that has harsh chemicals.
5. If you want to wash a wide area of the rug, make use of the bathtub. Fill the bathtub with water and give the rug time to soak in the soapy water. Rinse it very well and hang it on a railing or anywhere that suits your choice.
Polypropylene is a great rug and is very easy to clean and maintain. And it can last for quite a long time. But the problem is that it is prone to creasing. Over time, they can succumb to wrinkles due to heavy foot traffic and poor maintenance.
We gave a detailed approach to how to get creases out of polypropylene rug.