Walnut hardwood is gotten from walnut trees. The Walnut tree is one of the oldest tree species in the history of man, with over 21 species in different parts of the world.
Walnuts floorings have a unique look that cannot be forgotten, is relatively easy to maintain and is valuable and has a great return on investment (ROI).
As earlier stated, there are over 21 different varieties of walnut hardwood, and it can be used to produce other things like furniture, Walnuts as a source of food, cooking, and baking oil. It can also be used as flooring.
In modern times, walnut hardwood is a common choice of wood floorings because of its rich colors and unique looks.
Related: Is Bamboo Floor Scratch Resistant?
Types of Walnut Wood
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Walnut Wood
- 2 Types of Walnut Wood Flooring
- 3 Features of Walnut Wood Flooring
- 4 Walnut Floorings: Pros and Cons
- 5 Care and Maintenance
- 6 FAQ: What You Need to Know about Walnut Hardwood Flooring
- 7 Conclusion
English Walnut Wood
Also known as French walnut, common walnut, Circassia walnut, and European walnut. English walnut wood is sourced from edible walnut trees. It is commonly seen in western Asia and Eastern Europe.
Its color is usually a mixture of pale brown to dark chocolate brown. it has a medium texture and a natural luster feel.it grows about80-115 ft tall(24-35m) and 5-6ft(1.5-2.0M) wide.it is mostly used for little wooden objects like cabinetry and veneers.
Black Walnut Wood
Black walnut woods are wood workers’ favorites because they know their strength, capacity, versatility, and stability.
It is sourced from trees widely distributed in the eastern united states, and it grows about 37m in length and 0.6 to 1m thick in its trunk diameter. It’s relatively cheap compared to other walnut wood.
Claro Walnut Wood
It is native to California and Oregon. It has a fast growth rate under good climate conditions. It is more expensive than other walnut wood species because of its high demand and so many unique properties, one of which is its subtle but gorgeous marbled color palette.
It grows about 9-18m tall and 1-1.5 m wide. It is not durable regarding decay resistance, and it is less expensive. It grows about 65-100 ft tall and 2-3 ft wide.
In California, heartwood color varies from lighter golden yellow to a reddish-brown, darker brown to nearly black streaks.
Bastogne walnut is a breed of English walnut and claro walnut. It grows about 30m in height and has a width of 1-1,5m; the heartwood color ranges from golden to reddish-brown.
Peruvian Walnut Wood
It’s commonly seen in southern Mexico and south-central America. It grows about 9-18m tall 0.6-1m wide. It has a deep chocolate brown color and is relatively resistant to warping and decay.
Types of Walnut Wood Flooring
1. Solid walnut flooring is one of the most sought-after flooring surfaces because of its versatility, rich dark colors, and easy maintenance.
This comes from a single piece of wood and is usually left unfinished. Different wood manufacturers can sand or refinish it many times to bring it to life.
It is usually 2 ¼” to 5” wide with a thickness of ¾. its color makes for an excellent choice of room that needs a dark rich flooring surface.
2. Engineered walnut flooring floor: this uses different layers of wood to add strength to the top layer. Its plank width is usually between 3” and 5” inches wide and ¼ thick. Various finishes are available for engineered walnut flooring.
3. Laminate walnut flooring; one good thing about walnut laminate flooring is that it tends to look and feel like natural wood.
This walnut flooring is made up of artificial materials using high technology and multi-layered structure. It requires less maintenance than natural wood. This type of flooring is suitable for modern homes.
Read: How to Fix Dog Scratches on Hardwood Floors
Features of Walnut Wood Flooring
- Walnuts have a unique look that cannot be forgotten
- It is relatively easy to maintain
- It is valuable and has a great return on investment (ROI)
Walnut Floorings: Pros and Cons
- Walnut hardwood floorings are stunning and provide a warm feel because of their rich colors and designs
- Walnut hardwood floorings are very suitable for radiant heat because of their strong shock resistant
- It came to fit in nicely into the traditional or modern home setting
- Scratches and dents aren’t noticeable because of their natural warm colors
- Most walnut wood floorings are durable, resilient to moisture, and can be refinished repeatedly.
- Walnuts hardwoods are relatively soft, and it is easy for dents and scratches to appear on them over time. you should take measures to protect your walnut floorings from damage
- Because of its dark colors, it can make a room feel small. it is better suited in rooms with enough spaces and access to natural lights
Care and Maintenance
Walnut floorings do not require costly maintenance. Walnut floors can last for an extended period when maintained the right way
- Vacuum at least once weekly, use a wet mop if needed
- Use cleaning agents that are mild and won’t be absorbed into the wood
- Don’t let liquid of any sort pull up on the floors as it can stain and discolor it
- Don’t use a steam mop on walnut floorings, as this can damage the finish
FAQ: What You Need to Know about Walnut Hardwood Flooring
Is Walnut a Good Choice of Flooring?
Yes, walnuts are suitable floorings in various spaces; they make fantastic hardwood floors and are very durable.
Does Walnut Scratch Easily?
Scratches and dents on walnut floorings are not easily shown because of their colors. Proper cleaning will help preserve your walnut flooring.
Does Walnut Wood Change Color over Time?
It has rich dark colors, but as it gets older and is exposed to sunlight, it tends to get lighter in its shade.
Are Dark Walnut Floors Out of Style?
Walnut floors are never out of style. There is something about the colors that always make it be in vogue.
Read: How to Tell What Type of Wood Floor you Have
Walnut wood floorings have rich properties and are highly prized because of their rich natural tones and striking patterns.
These features can elevate floors to make them look luxurious, and you can opt for walnut wood floorings if you are looking to switch styles.
This article was written to help you in knowing what you need to know about walnut hardwood flooring. We hope you found it helpful, if you did kindly share it across your entire social media.