Removing bona floor polish is not advisable due to its ammonia content. Windex is a popular glass cleaning solution in the market and can be used as a floor cleaner and also as a wax stripper for wood floors.
The main ingredient in Windex is ammonia, which, although is a very common wax stripping agent that can be used to remove acrylic waxes on hardwood floors and strip off wax from wood floors, is not also safe for wood floor.
Quite an irony, right?! Well, aside from helping to remove floor finishes like bona on wood floors, ammonia can penetrate into the pores of your wood floor, which can cause severe warping and excessive dryness. This is why removing bona floor polish with Windex is not advisable.
Read: Best floor wax review
Other Ways To Remove Bona Floor Polish
Table of Contents
Bona floor polish has a remover that is specifically designed to strip it off; however, this product has had lots of complaints from users; most of these complaints are about the bona floor polish remover not being able to completely remove the bona floor polish and it also does not come off very easily.
This is why most people look for alternative methods when it comes to removing bona floor polish. Here are some floor polish remover that can be used to strip bona floor polish.
Ultimate Floor Polish & Wax Stripper Remover
The ultimate floor polish and wax stripper dissolves your floor polish in minutes with just one application, unlike the bona floor polish, which requires multiple applications to get the job done.
It’s a powerful and effective floor polish remover in the market right now and is a safer option as it does not contain ammonia.
- it dissolves your floor finish in minutes and requires only a single application
- it has a highly concentrated and solvent-based formula that enables it to strip wax and finish quickly and effectively
- it does not contain ammonia, so it is safe to use on wood without fear of it causing your wood floor to dry up and start warping, as well as other damages that happen over time
- it is a safer alternative to Windex and other harsh floor stripping solvents and chemicals as it’s a non-corrosive floor polish and wax stripper
- it is non-hazardous and does not contain any toxic chemicals making the product completely safe to use
- It can be used on different types of floors like laminate, vinyl, linoleum, terrazzo, asphalt, concrete, rubber tile, and others. However, please note that this product is not recommended to be used on hardwood floors by the manufacturer, but many users who have gone ahead to use it on hardwood floor, have attested that it works perfectly too
- it can be used to remove metal cross-linked floor finishes without causing damage to your floor
- it does not have a strong and unpleasant odor
- it has a concentrated formula so it can be diluted and used for a large surface area
- It has a money-back guarantee- which means you get a full refund if the product is returned within 30days if you do not like the product for any reason.
- it’s quite affordable, and you get great value for your money
Quick Shine Hardwood Floor Luster And Polish
This floor polish stripper can be used to restore and maintains the shine of your wood floor without leaving behind any residue or build-up.
It is made of carnauba wax, which is an organic product and does not contain aluminum, ammonia, formaldehyde, fragrance, paraben, phthalate, gluten, or any product that can be harmful.
It is a powerful polish that dries completely under 30 minutes and can be applied with a mop or buffer. You can also apply more than one coat of this product but make sure to only do so after one hour of applying the previous coat.
This product brand recommends that users re-coat their floors every 2-3 months for areas with high traffic and every 4-6 months for areas with low traffic; this way, you can maintain the beauty of your hardwood floors.
Quick shine hardwood floor luster and polish has an EPA safe choice label as they meet the criteria of products that are safe for people and surroundings.
Only a light coat is all you need for your floor, and you won’t have to sand and clean multiple times before applying varnish. This high-performing product has lots of positive reviews due to its quick-drying formula and delivers an even shine on your floor.
The product does not contain any toxins and fragrance, making it suitable for use around family, young children, and pets. It also requires less frequent applications to maintain a high gloss floor.
- It is made from organic materials, carnauba wax and does not contain harmful and toxic chemicals.
- It requires only a single coat, but you can also apply multiple coats if you desire
- It has a quick-drying formula
Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish And Conditioner
This is a great polish that provides a soft luster on both finished and unfinished wood surfaces. It provides a protective coating that helps to prevents wear and tear to your floor’s finish.
It is formulated with conditioning oils, which help to keep the wood from drying out, cracking, and fading.
Howard feed-n-wax wood polish and conditioner should be used on a monthly basis or anytime the floor starts to appear faded or dry.
This product is made from a blend of beeswax, carnauba wax, mineral oil, and orange oil which helps to enhance the natural beauty of your wood floor.
It requires only a single application which will erase all the small scratches; also, when the product dries, it forms a scratch-resistant layer. This product is safe to use around family, small children, and pets, although it should not be ingested or applied on the skin.
This product should be properly stored away from heat, sparks, and flames, as it has a combustible nature.
- It can be applied to different types of wood surfaces
- It is easy to use and do not require applicators
- It is made from ingredients that help to preserves your wood floor from drying out, cracking, or fading.
- It erases light scratches and also forms a scratch-resistant film on the floor.
- It is a safe product that can be used around family and pets
How To Get Rid Of Bona Floor Polish Build Up
If you used bona floor polish on your floor and it left behind a hazy, sticky build-up, do not fret! There are ways to eliminate it and get your floor back to its shining glory.
Sometimes the polish may collect lots of dirt than normal, which can be difficult to clean and, in extreme cases, ruin the floor.
Well, thankfully, there are easy ways to eliminate the bona floor polish build-up in a couple of minutes by using any of the above-mentioned floor polish and wax strippers.
Although there is a remover specifically designed for bona polish, it may not be the best to use as it requires a lot more effort and takes longer to work.
Read: Can you use fabuloso on wood floor?
If you are contemplating on removing bona floor polish with Windex, well! You shouldn’t as it is not advisable and you may end up ruining your floor.
Windex contains ammonia which can cause your wood floor to dry up and wrap; instead, there are other great products that you can use to strip off your floor polish, and they are listed above.