The beauty and durability of a carpet makes it a viable option for your floor. Carpets are typically considered safe for the old and young because they cushion the impact of accidental slips.
Having a carpet provides solid thermal insulation and resistance. These carpets lose their cushioning as well as freshness, hence, the reason to always freshen up your carpet.
Let’s look into how to freshen carpet. Baking soda, Hydrogen peroxide, Vinegar, and club soda are the best cleaners that can be used to freshen carpets.
This article will determine the practical ways we can freshen our carpets.
1. How to Freshen Carpet Using Baking Soda
Table of Contents
- 1 1. How to Freshen Carpet Using Baking Soda
- 2 2. Using Vinegar to Keep the Carpet Fresh
- 3 3. Fresh Air
- 4 4. Using Alcohol to Freshen the Carpet
- 5 5. Using Hydrogen Peroxide to Remove Stains on the carpet
- 6 6. Using Club Soda to Keep Your Carpets Fresh
- 7 Conclusion
Baking soda is one of the most effective ways of keeping our carpets fresh. Using baking soda as a carpet cleaner helps freshen and revitalize your carpets with regular professional cleanings.
Baking soda is a cheap solution that is effective and safe for your entire family and the environment. It helps to get rid of odors and stains with ease.
Pour some baking soda on the carpet before vacuuming the carpet. The stains you have will determine how you apply the baking soda.
Baking soda is quite helpful in battling non-greasy stains. It works like magic. They can also be used for greasy stain removal, leaving your carpet looking fresh.
To get rid of non-greasy stains on your carpet, all you need is do the following;
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the entire stain.
- Lightly mist the stain with some hot water (you’ll need a spray bottle for this).
- Keeping the area damp, you will want to allow the mixture to sit for a minimum of three hours but longer if possible. This can be something you do at night before you go to bed or in the morning before you leave for work.
Leaving a damp washcloth on top of the stain can help keep it damp so you won’t have to continue misting it.
After letting the stain sit for a while, you vacuum the area and observe if the stain remains. You should repeat the entire process as much as necessary to make sure you get it all out.
Read: Carpet cleaning solution with Baking soda
Tackling tough greasy stains using baking soda
To tackle tough greasy stains using baking soda, apply the following steps;
- First of all, cloth to dab the stain, to remove as much of the grease as is humanly possible.
Try not to rub the grease as this might make the stain spread to more areas in the carpet, which can damage the carpet fibers.
- After dabbing, pour some dry baking soda on the stain and allow it to sit till the next day. The longer that it sits, the more grease it absorbs.
- By morning, you should vacuum the entire area thoroughly. If the stain isn’t visible anymore, you’re probably done with the cleaning.
If the stain is still visible, take some dish soap and dab the stain to help eliminate the grease.
- Immediately follow through with water and a clean, dry cloth to start dabbing up the soapy residue. Remember to dab, so you don’t spread the grease to more carpet areas.
- Finally, air-dry the carpet until it is almost dry. Pour another layer of baking soda onto the stain and let it sit for at least three more hours before vacuuming the stained area again.
Read: How to remove grease stain from carpet
How to remove pet odor with baking soda
Baking sodas are also particularly effective in getting rid of pet odors. If you own pets and you discover they’ve made quite a mess with their unique pet smell, apply the following simple steps;
- Sprinkle a considerable quantity of baking soda section of the room the pet is particularly fond of, or sprinkle it around the entire room to make sure you neutralize everything. Allow it to sit for a few hours.
- After one to two hours, vacuum the area thoroughly. Now, it should smell fresh once again.
- This process should be repeated as much as possible to get rid of the pet odors.
2. Using Vinegar to Keep the Carpet Fresh
White vinegar is also an ingenious way to keep your carpets looking fresh and free of odor. Dilute the vinegar in water.
An equal amount of vinegar to an equal amount of water, and spray on affected areas. If it isn’t to your satisfaction, repeat the procedure till you get the desired result. Vinegar is very effective as a deodorizing agent.
3. Fresh Air
This is probably the most underrated way of keeping your carpets fresh. Cross-ventilation always works wonders to help keep a carpet smelling fresh.
Open windows for half an hour every day, if possible. Open the curtains to let sunlight into the room as well.
Fresh air helps neutralize odors trapped in carpet fibers, such as cigarette smoke or burnt food odors. Fresh air is also therapeutic.
4. Using Alcohol to Freshen the Carpet
Alcohol helps to deodorize and remove stains from carpets. If you intend to use alcohol as a stain remover or deodorizer, apply the following steps;
- Pour a little alcohol (preferably clear vodka) into a spray bottle and lightly spray any areas with truly formidable smells or stains.
- Let the alcohol sit for 15 minutes.
- Dab with a cloth until dry.
Read: How to get alcohol smell out of carpet
5. Using Hydrogen Peroxide to Remove Stains on the carpet
Cleaning carpet stains with hydrogen peroxide is often advised. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide on stains. Spray or pour peroxide onto the stain and let it remain, then remove with a dry cloth.
Put a clean cloth over the sprayed area and apply some pressure to clean up the hydrogen peroxide. If the stain remains, repeat the entire process.
Hydrogen peroxide in its original form could destroy the carpet, so we recommend the 3% peroxide. You can always test on a small hidden area to be sure.
Read: How to clean linoleum floors with hydrogen peroxide
6. Using Club Soda to Keep Your Carpets Fresh
Club soda is also another effective way to keep our carpets fresh. It’s mild enough to soothe an upset tummy yet strong enough to remove stubborn stains.
The most advantageous part is that it costs a whole lot less than other green cleaning agents. It’s always advisable to test it in a small hidden area to see the reaction with your carpet before trying it out on the broader region.
To eliminate stains resulting from spilled drinks or pet accidents, pour club soda over the stain, scrub vigorously, rinse with clean water, and dab with a clean cloth.
Repeat as much as possible to eliminate the stain. Club soda can also be helpful in the removal of stains as a result of spilled red wine or grape juice from your carpets, as long as you act quickly and decisively.
Dab as much of the spilled substance as possible with a dry clean cloth or towel; then wet another clean white cloth with club soda.
Press the wet cloth over the spilled area to dilute and absorb the spill. Rinse out the cloth frequently and reapply the club soda as needed.
Read: How to remove really old carpet smell
Carpets are ideal for our home floors because they beautify our floors. The fantastic designs of various carpets are nothing short of breath-taking.
The feeling of your feet on the carpet as you walk on it is comforting. Carpet provides safety protection for the whole family, especially for toddlers and older individuals.
This article explored how to keep our carpets looking fresh at little to no extra cost.
It is our sincere hope that this article help give the knowledge you desire, if it does, kindly share it across your social media platforms.