Grout sealer is a protective coating designed to permeate the grout pores, protecting it from foot activity, spillage, and buildup in shower situations.
This is a frequent question from most homeowners: how long does grout sealer last?
Most grout sealers last for approximately one year. Thus, grout cleaning and sealing may be required yearly in public areas and high-traffic showers.
Read on as we delve deeper into this topic.
How Long Does Grout Sealer Last?
Table of Contents
As mentioned earlier, to safeguard your floor grout, have it professionally cleaned and sealed at least every year.
Grout cleaning and sealing may be required yearly in public areas and high-traffic showers. When you see discoloration and buildup on your grout that cannot be removed with regular washing, it’s time to have it cleaned and sealed.
We recommended that homeowners have their grout cleaned and re-sealed at least once every two years, as grout sealant will wear out over this period.
Note that in some cases, your grout sealer may last more than a year. Perhaps you have a tiled space in your home that is rarely used.
Guest bathrooms and other infrequently used rooms may not need to be sealed year.
Showers, tub surrounds, and backsplashes that are not cleaned every week or are only used occasionally may last longer than a year.
Is Sealing Grout Worth It?
Yes! It is totally worth it. Below are some of the advantages of sealing your grout
1. Your grout will look more colorful and appealing with a grout sealer
2. The grout sealer can help keep your grout clean. If you haven’t applied a grout color seal to your grout, you’ll have to do maintenance every year to keep it looking clean.
3. Another significant advantage of sealing your grout is that it is quite affordable.
4. Sealants can repel water and oil-based liquids, preventing spilled food and beverages from ruining your bathroom floor.
5. Sealers also contain chemicals that are effective at preventing mildew and mold growth.
6. Because sealants prevent the grout from collecting liquids, your bathroom floor will not emit a weird odor like some ancient bathroom floors.
How do you Best Care for Sealed Grout?
Grout sealer protection might be damaged by harsh regular cleaning.
To care for sealed grout, only use a soft sponge or towel to clean your tile and grout weekly.
Secondly, if you’re going to use chemicals to clean your grout and tile, be sure the cleaner is pH-balanced. When you use harsh household cleaners to clean your grout and tile, you risk damaging the entire tiled surface.
Only light cleaning will be required if the grout is properly sealed.
Best Grout Sealers of 2021
1. Aqua Mix Sealer’s Choice Gold Quart (the best overall choice)
Not only does this sealer protect grout, but it also protects most types of stone and tile without altering their natural beauty.
This is a low-cost sealer intended to repel oil and water, which can cause considerable damage to the grout over time.
If you want to protect the grout and surrounding tiles for a longer period, you’ll appreciate the performance of this sealer.
You can keep even long expanses of tiled floors, worktops, or surroundings looking excellent with a gallon of this efficient grout sealant.
Back to the question, how long does grout sealer last?
While many grout sealers can last a year, keep in mind that strong cleansers can wear sealers down (as well as foot traffic or water in the showers).