After spending a lot of money purchasing a hardwood floor, the last thing you want is to ruin it with the wrong cleaning agent. In this situation, a homemade hardwood floor cleaner with olive oil is your life saver.
Hardwood flooring is expensive; still, a lot of people do not mind buying it due to its beauty and durability. In fact, the hardwood flooring market is estimated to be worth $3.49 billion.
However, getting a good cleaning agent that maintains the value of your hardwood floor may be difficult due to the sensitive nature of wood.
Homemade Hardwood Floor Cleaner With Olive Oil
Table of Contents
Using a homemade cleaner ensures that you are not exposing your wood to chemicals that you are not sure of its impact on your floor. Here’s how to make homemade hardwood floor cleaner with olive oil. You will need;
- 1 gallon of water
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice or white distilled vinegar
To make this homemade cleaner start by bringing the water to a boil then add the rest of the required items and stir thoroughly to combine and your cleaner is ready for use!
How to Clean Using Hardwood Floor Cleaner With Olive Oil
- Gently move any furniture that will obstruct your cleaning. This allows for convenience while you work. It also helps you not to miss out on any spot.
- Sweep the floor with a broom and vacuum. Sweeping the floor removes debris and dust to allow for efficient cleaning. Also, use a vacuum with a soft brush attachment to remove dirt from areas that the broom cannot reach, like underneath appliances.
- You can also mop the floor using a dust mop to remove even finer particles
- Next, wet a clean cloth or sponge mop in your bucket of homemade cleanser.
- Squeeze the cloth or mop thoroughly and work it into the surface gently but hard enough to clean stains and dirt.
- You may want to divide the floor into sections to help make the cleaning easier for you. You can do this using imaginary lines.
- Re-wet and squeeze the cloth or mop while continuing the process until the entire floor is cleaned.
- Do not over wet the floor because too much moisture is bad for wood.
- Allow the floor to dry completely. The water and lemon juice will dispel, leaving behind only the olive oil to give the floor a smooth feel and shiny appearance.
Benefits of Using a Homemade Hardwood Floor Cleaner With Olive Oil
The benefits of using a homemade hardwood floor cleaner with olive oil cannot be overemphasized to help you understand this better, let us quickly look into this.
- Adding olive oil to your hardwood floor cleaner allows it to serve the dual purpose of cleaning and semi-polishing agent.
- Olive oil moisturizes and polishes hardwood floors naturally, without leaving any sticky feel or dirt-attracting film.
- Since olive oil is a moisturizer, it helps prevent your hardwood floor from cracking and peeling during dry weather.
- Adding lemon to the mixture helps to sanitize your hardwood floor by destroying germs and bacteria. When mixed with water, lemon becomes a convenient cleaner because it removes tough stains with much ease.
- Also, the scent of lemon on your floor gives your room a unique and pleasant smell.
Pros and Cons of Homemade Hardwood Cleaner
- It is made of natural ingredients, and you can relate to its content.
- Homemade cleaners are way more cheap compared with the cleaners sold in the stores.
- Being made from natural ingredients, they are safe for your environment and family, especially babies and toddlers who tend to lick surfaces or pick up food that falls on them.
- You can use it in cleaning other non-hardwood surfaces in the home
- Water is an essential part of homemade cleaners. When used excessively, it can cause harm to the wood. Always use the correct measurement and dry wood properly when cleaning
It is not just enough to own a hardwood floor in your home. Maintaining is as vital as purchasing it. The duration of your hardwood floor depends on how well you maintain it.
Using homemade hardwood floor cleaner with olive oil helps you to overcome this maintenance hurdle without stress.
In addition to cleaning and disinfecting your floor, it also provides a sleek and elegant appearance in your home, not to mention its affordability and friendliness to the environment.
Of utmost significance is that it serves as a cleaning and semi-polishing agent and can be used on other non-hardwood surfaces. This helps you to cut down expenses and save a lot of money.