There is no need to hate your hardwood floor simply because of a minor maintenance challenge. The solution to your problem is right there with you. Right there in your home!
Can You Use Vegetable Oil on Hardwood Floors? Yes you can, If you are tired of using artificial cleaning agents on your hardwood floor or you are not even sure what cleanser to use, using vegetable oil can do the job perfectly.
Owning a hardwood floor is one of the best property investments you can make. Even though it is one of the more expensive floorings, its benefits outweigh the cost. It adds great value and elegance to your home. Also, it is strong and long-lasting.
Although it is expensive, maintaining a hardwood floor is quite cheap. You do not necessarily need to go and buy artificial cleaning agents to achieve this. The solution is right there in your kitchen.
Read: Can you use Windex on hardwood floor
How to Clean Hardwood Floor With Vegetable Oil
Table of Contents
As easy as it may sound, you do not just jump into smearing vegetable oil on your hardwood floor in a bid to clean. There are steps you need to follow to get a satisfying result. It is important to note that you are advised to mix vegetable oil with white vinegar for maximum results.
Vinegar is good for cleaning because it is made from acetic acid. Its acidic nature makes it strong enough to dissolve dirt and grease. It also kills bacteria. While using vinegar, try to use only white vinegar as using the dark-colored ones can result in stains on your floor.
Below is a detailed explanation of how to clean the hardwood floor with vegetable oil;
- The first step to cleaning your floor is moving all the furniture away from the area you want to clean. For convenience sake, and to get a good result, move the furniture by gently lifting; do not drag to prevent scratching the floor. Moving the furniture helps you to see better the floor you are about to clean. It also helps you not to leave any spot unattended. You can shift them to one side of the room and return them when you finish cleaning.
- After this, sweep your floor thoroughly. Sweeping the floor well with a broom will remove dirt, debris, and dust. It is also important to use a vacuum that has a soft brush attachment to clean the very tight areas and corners that the broom cannot access.
- Another important step after sweeping is dust mopping. This helps to remove really fine particles. It works better when your mop has a microfiber head.
- Next, mix two cups of distilled white vinegar and two cups of vegetable oil. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle, cover the bottle and shake well. Using a spray bottle makes it easier for you to apply the content to the floor surface. Again, it is better to use distilled white vinegar for cleaning.
- Clean the floor in sections. Spray the mixture of vegetable oil and vinegar in a thin layer, but enough to cover the area to be cleaned. Dividing the floor into smaller sections helps you pay attention to one area at a time. It also prevents you from getting tired easily or getting confused about which area you are yet to clean.
- Finally, rub the cleaning agent on the floor using a soft cloth. Dry the area, even more, using another clean, soft cloth. Do this until you have cleaned your entire hardwood floor.
Advantages of Cleaning Hardwood Floors With Vegetable Oil
Let’s briefly look at what makes it a better choice to clean hardwood floors with vegetable oil.
- Artificial cleaning agents are more expensive: you cannot compare the cost of visiting a store for a bottle of cleaner to simply grabbing a bottle of vegetable oil from your kitchen. The latter is by far cheaper. Money is not something you want to throw around when you have alternatives
- Cleaning with vegetable oil is safer: most of the time, you are not sure what is used in making those cleaning agents. It might contain a substance you or any family member may be allergic to. Simply using vegetable oil can save you a lot of headaches.
- Artificial cleaning agents may damage the wood: although they are supposed to maintain the wood, it might do more harm than good to your precious hardwood floor if you buy the wrong cleaning agent.
- Vegetable oil leaves a shiny effect: in addition to preserving the finishing of your floor, vegetable oil leaves it shiny and glowing, giving your home an ever-beautiful appearance.
Read: can you use Pine Sol on hardwood floor
Knowing how to clean hardwood floors with vegetable oil is quite a simple process. Aside from its simplicity, cleaning hardwood floors with vegetable oil guarantees the safety of your wood, yourself, and your family. It equally leaves a remarkably shiny appearance in your home.
For the record, some people use water to clean their hardwood floors. While this is also an acceptable household method for cleaning hardwood floors, it is not very advisable. This is because some woods do not go well with water, and continuously cleaning them with water can end up ruining rather than improving the appearance of your floor.
This, therefore, presents the use of vegetable oil as one of the safest options for cleaning hardwood floors.