Shark vacuum cleaners are highly beloved amongst homeowners, and it’s no surprise why! They are reliable and sure to get your cleaning job done in a jiffy.
But like any appliance, you need to know how to clean shark vacuum filter as well as its brush bars and canisters to prevent your vacuum from losing its suction or experiencing a complete breakdown.
Here’s a simple guide to help you properly clean your shark vacuum filter.
How To Clean Shark Vacuum Filter
Table of Contents
The shark vacuum is usually equipped with both foam and felt filters. Some shark vacuum models have up to three filters which are made of felt or foam rubber.
When there is a blockage in any of these filters, it causes the vacuum to lose suction power, and your vacuum becomes unable to properly pick up dirt which causes dirt to be left behind during cleaning.
To clean the plastic filter, you need to, first of all, lift the dirt canister and remove the filter. When carrying out this process, ensure to take note of the order so that you will be able to return everything in the order they were removed.
When you take out the foam filters, place them in a bowl and use warm soapy water to clean them.
Wash the foam filters thoroughly and rinse. When the filters are completely dry, you can go ahead and place them back in the vacuum.
Do not place damp or filters that have not fully dried in the vacuum as it can cause mildew and mould problems in your cleaner.
The second filter you would find in most shark vacuum is the HEPA filter; it helps to trap finer dust particles that passed through the plastic filters. HEPA filter needs a regular and thorough cleaning if you want your vacuum to work at its maximum capacity.
Depending on the model of your shark vacuum, it may come with two HEPA filters; this enables you to alternate between each filter, reducing the impact of constant use on the filters.
You can locate the HEPA filters underneath the dirt canister. To access them, first, lift away the canister and carefully take out the filters. Thoroughly wash the filters individually use warm soapy water. Avoid abrasive detergents and harsh cleaning chemicals when washing your filters.
When the filter is cleaned, allow them to dry completely before placing them back into the vacuum cleaner. You may find that your plastic shark filters take a longer time to dry compared to the HEPA filters.
This is why it is recommended to have an extra pair of filters handy, so you can make use of the other set while the washed ones dry.
But keep in mind that your filter deteriorates with time, so you will eventually need to replace them. If you notice that cleaning doesn’t do much to improve the suction power of your vacuum, you may need to replace the filters.
When getting replacement filters for your shark vacuum, ensure that it is the right fit for your vacuum. It is recommended to buy replacement filters ahead of time in order to avoid delays and inconveniences. You should not wait till the filter is damaged before shopping for a replacement.
How frequently you should clean your HEPA filters depends on how dusty your house gets. Although the manufacturers recommend to clean your shark filters once a year if you have pets and live with multiple persons, you should do it twice a year instead.
How To Clean Shark Vacuum Hose
Cleaning your shark vacuum hose should be done regularly, depending on how often you use the vacuum and the type of dirt and debris you clean.
For a regular, once-a-week household vacuuming, you should clean the vacuum hose once a month. But if you vacuum more frequently, your vacuum cleaner hose should also be cleaned more often.
Your vacuum cleaner hose is going to also need cleaning if it starts showing signs of blockage like an unpleasant smell and losing its suction power.
Here’s an easy step-by-step process on how to clean shark vacuum hose; please ensure to unplug your vacuum from the power source before attempting any cleaning on any of its parts.
The step process of removing the hose from your shark vacuum cleaner would depend on the vacuum cleaner model. For some models, all you need to do is turn and pull a hose release button, but you will need to remove screws to remove the handle for some others.
To remove the hose from such types of vacuums, push down the button to release the wand from the hose. You will find a hose release button that you need to press in order to detach the hose from the vacuum cleaner.
Be very gentle when carrying out this process, do not use excessive force to avoid damaging the hose.
If you are unsure about how to detach the vacuum hose from your shark cleaner, you can refer to the user’s manual.
If your vacuum has been experiencing loss of suction, the culprit is likely a blockage in the hose. When your vacuum hose is blocked, it can cause a variety of problems.
It can cause your vacuum to overheat and unable to pick up dirt. Here are some reasons why your vacuum hose might become blocked;
- Dirt buildup in the folds of the vacuum hose over time can cause a blockage.
- Accidentally vacuuming something sticky or bigger than the size of the hose,
To find out if your shark hose is blocked;
- Detach the hose from the vacuum cleaner
- Hold the hose up in a vertical position towards the ground
- Drop-in something heavy like a coin into the hose from the top
- The coin should fall right out; if it doesn’t fall almost immediately, there might be some blockage inside the hose.
How to clear a shark hose blockage
If you find out that your shark hose is blocked from dirt and debris buildup or stuck items inside, you can remove and clean out the hose using very easy steps.
- You can use your fingertips if the blockage is close to any of the hose’s ends.
- You can also use a long pole such as a broom or mop handle to push the blockage out if it’s far in. You just need to be very careful so as not to damage your vacuum hose.
- If you have another vacuum cleaner, you can also use it to suck the dirt out.
If you are unable to completely remove the blockage, you will need to wash the hose out with warm water and some soap. To do this;
- Start by filling a washbasin with enough warm water to cover the entire hose.
- While the hose soaks in the water, check the hose for any weak points, and if you find any, do not make use of an abrasive cleaning solution.
- Add a couple of drops of some gentle washing soap to the water
- Allow the hose to soak for at least 30 minutes to soften the dirt, and anything stuck inside. When its time to wash the inside, hold one end of the hose and shut the other end using your hand
- Fill up the hose with the soapy water
- With both ends of the hose held and closed off with your hands
- Shake the water as though you were cleaning a plastic bottle
- Finally, rinse out the hose thoroughly with running water
To deodorize and eliminate odours from your shark vacuum hose
- Make a mixture of two cups of white vinegar with three tablespoons of baking soda
- Hold both ends of the hose together and pour the mixture into the hose, which should be bubbling or fizzling
- Swing the hose around with its openings held shut
- Empty out the mixture from the hose and rinse thoroughly with some warm water.
This mixture not only deodorizes your vacuum hose it also gets rid of any sticky residue and bacteria inside the hose.
Clean the exterior of the vacuum cleaner hose using a damp cloth. You should then allow your hose to air dry before moving onto the last step.
Before you start to reattach your vacuum, you need to perform a visual inspection of the hose. Inspect your clean vacuum hose for any cracks or holes; if you notice any, you can repair them with some strong tape.
This is only advised for minor damages; if there’s severe damage to your hose, you will need to get a replacement. If your hose is still in good condition, you can go ahead and attach the hose the same way you removed it.
Cleaning your vacuum hose regularly will help to prevent blockages as well as good airflow; this way, your vacuum cleaner operates as it should.
The vacuum cleaner you use for cleaning also requires cleaning! Shocking, I know! When your vacuum is not frequently cleaned, it can negatively impact the vacuum cleaner’s performance.
Two important parts of a vacuum cleaner that require more frequent cleaning is the filter and vacuum hose; this is why this article is here to teach you how to clean shark vacuum filter and how to clean shark vacuum hose, so you can enjoy your shark vacuum at its maximum capacity.