Hardwood floors add a beautiful touch to just about any room, which has made them quite popular among homeowners. However, there is a universal debate among most homeowners: What is the best thing to use to clean wood floors?
You need to find safe and effective ways to clean your hardwood without damaging them. As general knowledge, it is agreed that excessive moisture can damage hardwood floors. Thus, you need to use a damp mop rather than a soaking wet one when mopping your hardwood floor.
This post will discuss effective ways to keep your hardwood clean and free from damage.
Read: How to clean sealed hardwood floors
What is the Best Thing to Use to Clean Wood Floors?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is the Best Thing to Use to Clean Wood Floors?
- 2 The 7 Best Hardwood Floor Cleaners
- 3 Does and Don’t When Cleaning Your Hardwood Floors
- 4 Conclusion
Below are some effective ways to employ when cleaning your hardwood floors.
1. Sweep with Soft-Bristled Broom or Vacuum with A Soft Floor Nozzle
There is a need to sweep your hardwood floor regularly – at least once every two to three days. This is because dirt and debris can scratch the floor’s surface and make it look dull.
When sweeping, you need a soft-bristled broom that won’t scratch the floor surface. If you’re opting for vacuuming, you need a soft floor nozzle vacuum that won’t back itself into a corner.
2. Wipe Spills Immediately
It has been emphasized already; excessive moisture can damage your beautiful hardwood floor. This includes milk, mustard, and pet urine. Thus, you need to wipe away these spills immediately they happen not to damage your floor.
3. Use A Damp-Mop with A Flat-Head Mop and Microfiber Pad
As already mentioned, hardwood floors should be mopped with damp and sopping mops.
A padded microfiber mop is most recommended for hardwood floors. This is because they don’t retain too much moisture, and they are also quite easy to wring.
Control the amount of moisture on the wood by wringing the mop thoroughly. Alternatively, you control the amount of cleaning solution by using a spray bottle. Spray all over the floor and clean with the microfiber mop.
4. Use the Right Cleaner
Another trick to keep your hardwood floor durable and free from damage is to use the right cleaner. It is recommended that you go for cleaners that contain isopropyl alcohol. This is because such cleaners dry quickly. We will discuss the best cleaners for hardwood floors below.
Alternatively, you can make your own DIY cleaning solution for your hardwood floor by mixing a capful of white vinegar with a gallon of water. This will help dissolve grease and grime on the floor without affecting the finish.
The 7 Best Hardwood Floor Cleaners
Below are some of the best floor cleaners for your hardwoods. To be on the safer side, we recommend that the floor cleaners listed here should be tested in an inconspicuous part of your floor before use. Below are some of the products that made the list.
1. Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner: this floor cleaner is available at Amazon and is gentle on hardwood floors. It will leave your floor with a gorgeous natural sheen.
2. Murphy Oil Soap: this cleaner is budget-friendly and is available at Amazon. It can be used for deep cleans or quick touch-ups.
3. Better Life Floor Cleaner: this eco-friendly hardwood cleaner is available at Amazon and will leave your floor shiny
4. Bissell SpinWave: this cleaner is available at Kohls.com, and it’s powerful yet lightweight that will leave your floors to shine with minimal effort.
5. Method Wood Floor Cleaner: also available at Amazon, this wood cleaner contains coconut oil, baking soda, and organic solvents, which is all you need for a clean, shiny floor.
6. Zep Commercial Hardwood & Laminate: this cleaner is not recommended for home use but rather for industrial areas with traffic
7. SC Johnson Paste Wax: available at Amazon, this multi-purpose floor cleaner can be used for all kinds of floors and will leave floors with a lustrous, satiny sheen.
Does and Don’t When Cleaning Your Hardwood Floors
If you just installed hardwood floors in your home, there are various tips you should employ and mistakes you should avoid when cleaning. These tips will be discussed below:
1. Don’t Use a Steam Mop on Hardwood Floors
As a rule, do not clean wood floors with a steam mop. This is because steam opens the pores in the woods and damages the finish. It can cause irreversible damage to any wood floor.
Read: What floors can you use a steam mop on
2. Don’t Use Any Cleaner That Has ‘Polish’ Or ‘Shine’ In It
Contrary to what you might think, any cleaner with “shining or polishing” qualities indicates that the cleaner is adding a layer of something to the floor. Your floor only needs recommended finish to stay shiny.
After using such cleaners, your floor might look shiny for a while. Do not be deceived; the shiny look will just end up attracting more dirt, prompting you to clean your floors again.
Read: How to make unfinished wood floor shine
3. Use Soap and Water When in Doubt
There are many cleaners hawked in the supermarkets claiming to be safe for hardwood cleaners. If you are confused about the cleaner to go with, just opt for plain soap and water.
Use mild or pH-neutral soap (like liquid dishwashing soap) or Murphy Oil Soap. Mix the soap in a bucket of water and mop with a microfiber mop.
4. Use Vinegar-And-Water Solution Minimally
While the vinegar-and-water solution is recommended for cleaning hardwood floors, this solution shouldn’t be used regularly. This is because vinegar in large quantities can damage the floor’s seal.
5. Don’t Wear Heels on Hardwood Floors.
Your favorite heels might be wreaking havoc on your hardwood floors by bringing in dirt and leaving scratches on your floor. It is recommended that only indoor flip-flops should be on hardwood floors.
6. Lastly, Clean Up Spills ASAP
While spills are inevitable, what you do after such spills is what matters. As already mentioned, moisture damages hardwood floors. Thus, you need to blot spills immediately with an absorbent cloth.
The various tips discussed in this post will ensure your floors hold up for decades and continue looking gorgeous.
When it comes to the title of this post: what is the best thing to use to clean wood floors? We know that certain cleaners (both commercial and homemade) will leave your hardwood floor flawless.