Hosted a party recently in your apartment? Or relaxing with a bottle of beer after a long day at work? In either of these scenarios, there is a likelihood that beer spills might have happened on your beautiful floor.
While we unanimously agree that accidents do happen, it brings us to a quite vital question: how to get rid of beer smell on floors. Fortunately, the beer smell can be removed with vinegar and baking soda.
Stay tuned as we walk you through this process.
Read: How to get alcohol smell out of carpet
How to Get Rid of Beer Smell on Floors
Table of Contents
Treating a beer spill should be done as fast as possible. This means that you should deal with beer spilling situations immediately after that party in your apartment.
You don’t want the spill getting into cracks on your floor or soaking up your carpet, which ultimately makes the work more difficult for you.
1. As mentioned earlier, the first step is removing the beer from the fall using folded paper towels. Blot up as much of the beer as possible until no more liquid comes up.
2. After you are done removing as much beer as you can, combine 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and liquid dish soap into 2 cups of lukewarm water in a bowl or bucket.
3. Dip a rag into the vinegar and liquid dish soap solution and wipe the area of the spill, starting from the edges toward the center.
4. Use clean water to rinse the floor. Dip a different rag into clean water and wipe the affected area starting from the outside edges toward the center. This is to remove any residue of the vinegar and liquid dish soap solution left behind.
6, Give the floor time to dry, or you can hasten up the process by turning on a ceiling fan or using a portable fan pointed toward the wet area.
7. If you still perceive some slight odor, sprinkle the cleaned area with baking soda and vacuum the carpet after 30 minutes or so to remove the powder. You may have to keep on repeating this process until the beer is completely gone.
Read: Best ways to remove musty smell
How To Get Beer Smell Out Of Couch
What if the beer spill happened on your couch? Do you still follow the same procedure discussed above? Luckily, the method of removing beer smell from any part of the house is quite universal.
First thing first, you will have to act really fast. Make sure you deal with the beer spill situation on your couch immediately after it happened.
Try to remove the beer odor within the first 3-6 hours after the spill; immediately it gets over 24-48 hours, the odor becomes almost unbearable and becomes a challenge to clean and deodorize.
Secondly, separate the affected cushions from the unaffected ones. You don’t want the beer spill making its way within the crack or creases of the couch.
Once you have done the separation, use a dry clean towel to blot the spill. Apply enough pressure while blotting so you can draw up as much beer as you can.
Also, you can pour water on the affected area and blot it dry again. This may seem counterintuitive but will help to water down the spot and pull even more beer residue from the cushion.
You can now adopt the vinegar and liquid dish soap solution method discussed on how to get rid of beer smell on the floor. In this case, don’t just clean the affected area with the solution, but rather, allow the solution to sit on the couch for 6-8 hours before returning to blot dry the white vinegar solution out of the cushion.
Alternatively, instead of the vinegar and liquid dish soap solution, you soak the affected area with a leather-safe enzyme cleaning solution for 24 to 48 hours.
Enzyme solution can completely eliminate the couch odorous beer residue within the couch. You can then blot dry after the allotted time.
Just like getting rid of beer smell on floors, baking soda can be used to absorb remaining beer odors.
Read: How to get rid of new carpet smell
When it comes to how to get rid of beer smell on the floor, it may seem that the magic ingredients needed are vinegar and baking soda.
Ultimately, removing beer smell from your home depends on how fast you act. You need to deal with the situation immediately it happened.